COUTURE PATTERN MAKING
EVENING WEAR / SPECIAL OCCASION - LEVEL 2
Start dates: January 13, may 11, September 8
In this comprehensive and specialized course, you will focus on the intricacies and techniques utilized in evening wear and bridal. Students will learn how to draft, construct and manipulate fabrics utilizing a variety of specialty fabrics and finishes, including beading, lace work, and tailoring, as well as learn how to drape in jersey and silk. At the completion of this module, you will draft and assemble two couture evening wear designs that reflect your personal design point of view and brand.
PROGRAM DURATION: 14 WEEKS X 20 HOURS A WEEK
LECTURE: 8 HOURS A WEEK
LAB: 12 HOURS A WEEK
• Understanding couture applique and principles.
• Learning fashion terminology.
• Analyzing textiles for special occasions.
• Identify the appropriate blocks for specific garments.
HAND SEWING TECHNIQUES
• Learning how to apply and remove sequins
• Learn construction and application of a zipper and lining.
• Develop hand sewing of sequins in seam allowance and sequin replacement.
• Practicing hand beading techniques
• Learn how to create different seams.
• Learn about different hems
• Install invisible zipper in dress.
• Merge lining and exteriors
• Hand stitch techniques.
• Analyzing and understanding silk
• Cutting and preparing silk charmeuse.
• Understanding printed textile and matching prints to seams.
• Learning about knit fabrics and preparing fabrics
• Ruching and controlled fullness and stabilizing.
PATTERN, CONSTRUCTION & FIT
• Learning about the cocktail dress
• Manipulating a circle skirt block and drafting a pattern for the skirt
• Constructing and pressing with tailoring techniques.
• Bounding buttonholes.
• Creating patch pocket
• Installing shoulder pad and lining
• Compete interior tacking and final pressing.
• Manipulating blocks to create bustier pattern.
• Learning how to apply boning in to bustier.
• Creating couture lace over bustier with no seams.
• Understanding Crinoline construction.
• Adjusting fit on a live a model
CAPSULE COLLECTION & PRESENTATION
• Final: Create a mini collection composed of two looks using couture techniques. Includes your sketches,
process, mood board and fabric board.
• Students will present their final presentation to peers, the Dean of The Cut Fashion Design Academy and the course instructor.
Is a Career in Fashion Right for You? Find Out! Take our "The Cut Fashion Design Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Fashion Design Training Readiness Score now >>
Meet your instructors
Rodica’s passion for fusion between Canadian Urban Style and European Chic, balancing business and casual styles, adding some fun – gives her unique, casual, creative and chic style. Her mission is to provide to her customer quality, innovative design, contemporary functionality, captivating visual effects, art, feminine look and fun.
TURNING YOUR EDUCATION INTO A CAREER
APPLICATION FEE (ALL STUDENTS): $50
ASSESSMENT FEE (ALL STUDENTS): $100
(Does not include books and materials, check program outline for details)
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training
The Cut Fashion Design Academy is designated with PTIB