GERBER PATTERN MAKING AND GRADING
Start Dates: January 13, may 11, September 8
Gerber pattern making examines every aspect of pattern making and grading using Gerber AccuMark Pattern Design software (V10) and focuses on specific job responsibilities often assigned to apparel pattern makers and graders. Rather than focus solely on software commands, this class incorporates invaluable insight gained from the professor’s extensive experience as an industry insider. Lessons, exercises, and quizzes focus not only on teaching the software, but also on preparing students to be successful industry professionals. This module also covers pattern creation, drafting, digitizing, plotting, knock offs, data conversion, technical specification sheets, and costing of markers. Some manual pattern making experience is recommended to take this course.
PROGRAM DURATION: 14 WEEKS X 20 HOURS A WEEK
LECTURE: 8 HOURS A WEEK
LAB: 12 HOURS A WEEK
IINTRODUCTION TO GERBER
• Understand Gerber AccuMark sequence of operations.
• Learn Data Input – How pattern shapes are digitized and entered in the pattern making system.
• Work with Gerber menu items to develop, modify, check and finalize pattern pieces.
• Understand menu, sub-menus and functions to develop pattern making in the system.
• Understand data management, import/export and moving/deleting data.
• Create models to industry standards and run them through the AccuMark processes.
CREATING, SAVING, DIGITIZING & BACKING UP
• Create new pieces through the Create Piece Menu.
• Group existing pieces together and create a new Model File Editor in Pattern Design.
• Determine piece identifications for digitized pieces.
• Create a Grade Rule Table for digitizing purposes.
• Practice Digitizing a Closed Piece and a Mirrored Piece.
• Verify Digitized Data and view pieces in Pattern Design.
• Seam allowance and notches.
• Label a cut line for production
• Be able to edit grade point
• Creating offset line, shortening or lengthen an internal line, creating Drill hole
• Create new pieces from drafting
• Create pieces by using the trace function
• Develop dart manipulation
• Get to know all measuring tools
• Rotate and flip pieces and line
• Create straight line, curve line and flatten line segment
• Assign rule table
• Snap to Geometry
• Trace asymmetrical pieces
• Grading map and rule table data
• Marking orders
• Calculate yield/ efficiency/ block facing/ bump line/ Split/combine marker/ Scale/ Shrinkage
• Remove grading
• Learn how to resize, Mini marker, Export zip, convert data, costing chart and using a measurement chart
• Students will create a final project of a digitized tailored jacket
•Students will present their final presentation to peers, the Dean of The Cut Fashion Design Academy and the course instructor
Is a Career in Fashion Right for You? Find Out! Take our "The Cut Fashion Design Training Readiness Quiz"
This fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get your Fashion Design Training Readiness Score now >>
Meet your instructors
Jessica has worked in the fashion industry for almost three decades for brands such as Karma Athletics, Lotuswear Designs Ltd., and Design Group—just to name a few. In addition to these valuable experiences, she designs, creates and produces pet wear, uniforms, wedding gowns and other custom formal wear with impressive results.
Patty Nayel is a Canadian born fashion designer who is based out of North Vancouver, British Columbia. After graduating from Kwantlen Polytechnic University in 2009 with a degree in Fashion Design, Patty started her career as a technical designer in the lingerie industry. While working there, she started her eco Bridal brand, Pure Magnolia, as a side project and launched the brand as a full collection in 2010.
TURNING YOUR EDUCATION INTO A CAREER
APPLICATION FEE (ALL STUDENTS): $50
ASSESSMENT FEE (ALL STUDENTS): $100
(Does not include books and materials, check program outline for details)
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training
The Cut Fashion Design Academy is designated with PTIB